Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Summer Continuity of Learning
All elementary and middle school students will have the opportunity to participate in summer Continuity of Learning June 29th - July 31st. Students/parents may OPT out. If you have opted out and wish to receive the packets, we will provide a link in our next mailing. FCPS webpage also includes resources, click the link here.
- Students in grades K-6 will receive two Essentials Summer Practice Books (one math and one language arts) that will review key content from this school year. The book will include a letter to families, learning outcomes, Inquiry based “Learning Quest” activities. Answer guides will be posted electronically, and math answers will be in booklets.
- Virtual resources will be available on Blackboard 24-7. In addition, students will have access to skill practice through the iReady digital lessons through the FCPS public Universal Screener website. Students will need to enter their FCPS login credentials to access these resources. These digital activities will be available until Friday, July 31st. Teachers will share log in information during upcoming virtual sessions.
- A Kent Gardens teacher will be available to meet virtually with students to do check-ins and support student learning from Monday, June 29 - Friday, July 31 To register your student for office hours and receive a secure link, please complete this google form. Once registered, your child will receive log-in information via their FCPS Google email address prior to the first session. Office hours are intended to be a time where students who have been registered can ask questions or receive support with that week’s Essentials Summer Practice Book content.
- Staffing will include a grade level teacher for K-6, ESOL, and one special education teacher. Those who have registered will receive detailed information regarding the hours. The office hours are also posted on our Kent Gardens website.
- Lexia and Dreambox will be available for student use during the summer. At this point, your child’s current Blackboard 24/7 curriculum will not be available due to maintenance. The summer Continuity of Learning (COL) will have a 24/7 curriculum available to you with inquiry-based lessons.
This summer, readers of all ages will have the opportunity to play a gameboard where they can complete a series of challenges, read books of their choice, or a mix of both depending on their interests and preferences. Youth game boards will be available in English and Spanish. These went live on June 12th and extend through August 14th - the theme is “Imagine Your Story.” Additional information can be found here and is shared in detail below:
- All participants should sign up online using our Summer Reading App prior to downloading a personal gameboard.
- All game board PDFs are clickable and every challenge piece will link back to a page on our website with additional details, resources, and related enrichment activities for participants who want to go the extra mile;
- As participants play the game and hit their milestones, they will be entered into prize drawings for one of two Amazon gift cards in each age category (preschool, school-age, teen, and adult). The 1st milestone prize is $50, the 2nd is $100, and the 3rd is $150. They will submit their information to us via a Survey Monkey form for each milestone. Links to the surveys are embedded into each milestone piece in the game and are available on our website;
- Readers who sign up on the first day of the program (June 12) will be entered into a drawing for a $25 e-gift card from Scrawl Books;
- Participants who complete all three challenges by August 14 will be entered into a grand-prize drawing for Washington Nationals ticket prize pack for them and their family to enjoy once games resume;
- There is also a Summer Reading Adventure 2020 playlist on YouTube that features promo videos with basic information about the program (in English and Spanish) as well as short book talks for preschoolers, school-age kids, and teens. We will be adding additional book talks on Instagram throughout the summer;
- Connect with our FCPS librarians on social media! @FairfaxLibrary on Instagram and Twitter and @Fairfax County Library on Facebook;
- Our virtual programs will continue all summer long and information about those can be found on our events calendar
- Yearbook Information: We have sold out of yearbooks at the school!! If you would still like to purchase a yearbook, you may do so by contacting the company directly. The total cost will be $35.00 which includes shipping directly to your home. You may email the company directly at email@example.com.
- Parent Coffee: We will advertise parent coffees during the summer via News You Choose and social media. Stay tuned!
- For Rising 4th, 5th and 6th Graders: 2020-2021 Strings and Band Program Registration Form: We are very proud of our Strings and Band programs at Kent Gardens. Students learn how to play an instrument and experience the joy of performing with others. Fourth grade students are given the option of joining Strings (almost all students participate), while Fifth and Sixth grade students are given the option of joining/continuing Strings OR joining Band (almost all students participate in one or the other). Since the school building and music stores are currently closed, to help your child choose an instrument, the teachers have prepared a video to introduce the various instrument choices. The videos and registration form are found at https://forms.gle/5nyDJYqua4Frj7no9
- For Rising 5th and 6th Graders: Kent Gardens Patrol Application 2020-21 Due June 15, 2020: Patrols play an integral part in ensuring the safety of our students at Kent Gardens. They serve as models of good behavior and examples of what it means to be a good citizen and to look out for others. Patrols are selected based upon progress reports and teacher recommendations. They help on the buses, in the kiss n' ride, with younger students, and at dismissal. If you have a child who is a rising 5th or 6th grader at Kent Gardens and interested in becoming a patrol, please fill out the form at this link: https://forms.gle/GbU6w5n58a7VRv7k6
- Registration for Kindergarten If you have a rising kindergartener please register by completing the FCPS registration forms and registering with Tracy Dean by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to collect additional information regarding your child, we request that you complete the following form.
- New Students to Kent Gardens – Registration: We welcome all new students to Kent Gardens. You may register by emailing Tracy Dean email@example.com. The registration forms are here. Please complete the Home Language survey if you speak another language at home. We have also created a google document that will collect academic and other social/emotional behavior information to assist us in placing your child. You should complete the form for each child. Note that the kindergarten registration has a separate google form and can be found in our announcements.
- Enrollment Intentions for 2020-2021: Are you leaving Kent Gardens? We have reached out to many families who indicated that their family would be departing. Due to COVID-19, many families have decided to stay and will remain enrolled until their plans are confirmed/adjusted. Please email Iveliz Charles at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know of your status. We only need parents to email if your child(ren) will not be enrolled for the 2020-2021 school year.
1717 Melbourne Drive, McLean, VA 22101 | Phone: 703.394.5600
Attendance: 703.394.5656 or KentGardensES.Attendance@fcps.edu